Friday, September 10, 2010

Couscous Avec Poulet

So I'm trying a new thing for my new adventure into the world of blog. A short story and a recipe.


So I'll start with Cote D'Voir; West Africa. I remember my first visit to the Asini beach in Cote D'Voire. I was about 13 years old, in middle school and insecure and struggling to find my identity like all other teenage girls.

I remember arriving to the Asini beach, which was suppose to be apart of some African beach resort, but resembled more of a dive bar in a make shift hut on the beach. We had arrived with our own caravan of people from the U.S. Embassy, and they had decided to take us out for lunch for our welcome aboard type event. My father ordered the local favorite for us since my family was not yet fluent in the local cuisine. The African waiters came out with trays of beautifully arranged dishes displaying warm colors of amber, cream, reds, and greens. When my plate was placed in front of me, I couldn't help but be puzzled as to what the fluffy tan colored side dish was that resembled the gritty sand from which I was sitting on the beach.

I leaned over to my father and whispered, "what is this? I mean, I knew there was poverty here, but sand? Really?" like the typical estranged and close minded teenager that I was back then, and he said, "I don't know? Try it?" I waited for him to try it first to get a preparation of what's to come based on his facial expressions as he tried the first bite.

"Mmmmm, this is not too bad, but really very little taste. Kind of like pasta." My father said. So I decided to try it. "It's called couscous." Someone added as we were trying our first bites. It really didn't have a distinct taste to it. It was more like a rice dish or pasta dish where it takes what ever flavour of the main course. It was a new texture that I had to get use to, however it didn't take long. CousCous soon became one of my all time favorite comfort foods.

Let me share with you a comfort dish that our African House lady and cook; Addy, use to make for my sister and I. Addy was an African who my parents had hired to help prepare meals, clean house, and really she was our nanny; which is the norm in Africa. Many Africans are hired by the Embassy families to give the local jobs to help support their families with steady income. She became like a big sister to my sister and I. We loved her very much and missed her when we had to leave Africa. God bless her, and I hope she is well where ever she is today.

I will share with you one of her recipes that she use to prepare for us.

Cous Couse Avec Poule (with Tomato based sauce)

- 2 lbs chicken breast (cut in medium sized cubes)
- One large can of Tomato sauce (with chunks of tomato)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic chopped
- pinch sea salt
- pinch pepper ( to taste)
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh basil
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 Onion sliced in length
- 1 tbsp olive oil

In a pan over medium hi heat, simmer all ingredients in olive oil except for cous cous, tomato and chicken. Add the chicken once the onions are caramelized. Add chicken and toss till cooked on the outside. Then turn the heat down to medium, add can of crushed tomato and cover; let simmer for 30 25 minutes.

When there is 15 minutes remaining for the chicken, in a separate pot, boil water to prepare the cous cous. Prepare cous cous according to package instructions.

Check on the chicken. Stir occasionally.

When chicken is done and cous cous is prepared, spoon a healthy portion of cous cous on a plate, then a serving of the chicken over the cous cous. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Your recipes sound delicious, I'll have to try them. I think you are doing a wonderful job on your blog. I wouldn't even know where to start. Keep up the great job!

    ReplyDelete