Friday, September 3, 2010

Indian Chicken Tandoori

I've spent most of my life overseas in places like Okinawa Japan, Cote D' Voir West Africa, Rome Italy and Souda Bay Crete Greece. I've traveled to many more places, but stayed mainly in the Mediterranean. I LOVE Mediterranean food. In Africa it was the Cous Cous avec Poules that was my comfort food, In Japan it was the yakitori chicken grilled by the Okinawan vendor off the side of the road, Africa; it was the beef brochette grilled off the street side on some make shift grill from spare parts of random metal and scrap, Rome Italy; their Gnocchi is to die for, and Greece; I can't get enough of Mike's chicken souvlaki.

I've made it my hobby to replicate all of these comfort foods that I love around the world. I may not be able to afford the time and money to travel as much today, but I will find a way to bring all of my favorite foods around the world to me instead! Last night, I made my version of Indian Chicken Tandoori. It's pretty much based off of the basic recipe except I always make every recipe a little bit different to make it my own. The recipe is below....



* Six Pieces Chicken Thighs (on the bone)

* 1/2 tsp Turmeric

* 1/2 tsp Cumin (Cumino)

* 6 tbsp Greek yogurt plain

* 1/2 Red Pepper

* 1 tsp Garam Masala

* 1 tsp Red Curry Spice

* pinch sea salt

* 3 tbsp Paprika (for red color)

* 1 Lime

* Minced 1 tsp Ginger

* Minced 1 tsp Garlic



It's a two step process for mixing the spices, so you're going to need two medium size pie pan like dishes, (basically deep enough and wide enough room to marinate the chicken in both pans)

In first pan combine ginger and garlic and squeeze the juice from 1/2 of the line, then add a pinch of salt. Now cut a slice or two along your chicken pieces at an angle so the marinade can really soak in. Roll the chicken pieces generously around the ginger and lime marinade. Then set aside.



In the second pan, combine all other dry spices; cumin, red pepper, salt, garam masala, turmeric, red curry, and Greek yogurt, paprika, then squeeze the other half of the lime and mix well. Add more paprika to it depending on how red you want it. You can use food die, but it ends up looking like a weird pink past, but it is a popular option so if you don't have paprika that is an alternative.



Take the chicken and now roll it into the new spice marinade mix generously.



Place on a grill of open fire under medium high heat and cook until meat is thoroughly cooked, roughly 15 minutes...flip half way through for cooking time to cook both sides. Always check the meat to make sure it's cooked properly too. Everyone's grill's or ovens cook a little differently. There's nothing like getting sick off of uncooked chicken to ruin your sleep.



Now as for the Rice, cook basmati or jasmine rice according to the package instructions. But I like to cook my rice with garlic mushrooms in butter. So simmer some mushroom, FRESH garlic only, in butter, and add a pinch of salt. Then as you're water is boiling away for the rice add the mushroom garlic mix to your boiling water, then add your rice. Cook according to rice package instructions and Bam! You've got yourself an ethnic Asian and Mediterranean inspired gourmet meal to DIE FOR!



Believe me, if you love curry, you'll want to make this meal once a week at least, and share it with your friends and family to impress them with your culinary skills ;}

No comments:

Post a Comment